Mastrick

Monday, June 28, 2004

Weekend Rundown III

So, what did I do this weekend?

Well, it all started Friday (of course) after work, the Get Connected Summer Staff, sans Spoon, headed to the little podunk town of Salem to catch "Farenheit 9/11" on the day of it's release. Courtesy of Mapquest we got there to late, so the Fishbowlers had to pick up our tickets for us and we had to eat at a different resturant than them when we arrived. The whole area around this little theater was packed because it was the only place in about a 100 miles that was actually playing it. We made our way down the block in the pouring rain to find a little a bistro. As it so happens, almost everyone there was in a rush to finish their meal by 7.45, the time the movie started. The food was excellent (can't go wrong with a reuben) but the atomsphere was meh. Not meh because of the setting, but meh because of the pompous ass that sat behind us. I won't go into a lot of detail, but he was just a hardcore conspiracy theorist and his date, I quote, said "Oh yeah, Dick Cheney, isn't he like... the vice president or something?". Stupid bitch and he's brainwasher her, excellent subject, eh? I really enjoyed the movie/documentary, despite the obvious one-sidedness, but that's life.

Short of cleaning up around the apartment, all I really accomplished was finishing the second (and last) episode of Noir. Below are my feelings, some spoilers I guess you could say.

Episode 14: At this point the show, it really shows how powerful Soldats really is. Once again, there is some sweet shooting by Kirika, being that she's uber leet and all. I was glad to see Uncle Claude die, he was kind of freaky in a uh... uhm... how do I describe it? *plays the classic banjo song from Deliverence* That should sum it up.

Episode 15: Faye, uhm I mean, Shao Li (like that similarity wasn't on purpose) is just a kick ass bitch. Watching Kirika and Chloe side by side was pretty damn awesome, too.

Episode 16: Shao Li in that traditional dress was hot, like, hotter than Faye hot (obviously), my only question is, what kind of race is she, if she isn't affected by the poison? Watching her and Chloe fight, despite its shortness, was very similiar as the Rock Lee versus Sasuke duel, except this one didn't end up with me rolling on the floor laughing. Finally, Chloe's keeper, is that male or female? I'm pretty sure female, but it's got that asian transexual freakyness going on.

Episode 17: Who the hell is Soldats! How can you be a child of an organization, that's all I'm wondering.

Episode 18: This I found to be a very moving episode, just the plot twist keep piling up that I was beginning to get confused. Thus, I took a dinner break.

Episode 19: The beginning of this episode just made me feel weird, it was so much unlike all the other episodes. Mirielle's printer sucks, by the way, reminds me of my old Lexmark. The translations changed in this episode as well, Altena became Artena, so I was confused for a touch. I should go back and count how many times Mirielle would be dead had it not been for Kirika. It should average out to at least one an episode. It's pretty damn obvious Mirielle knows who took out her parents at this point.

Episode 20: This episode was chock full of history, which is a change of pace as opposed to just flashbacks. My question is, who in the hell wears heels while rooftop jumping? Kirika's hate filled facial expressions makes you feel a little uneasy. The ending was pretty screwed up, too. If you know most animes, you know it would run at least 26 episodes, but if you didn't and didn't have these all collected, I feel sorry for those who had to wait a week.

Episode 21: By the end of this episode, everything it out in the open, but by now it was all pretty much obvious. So, I'm hoping there will be no more flashbacks, that plagued this entire series.

Episode 22: That little girl looked just like Mirielle, as I reckon it was supposed to, oooh freaky. The whole village looked like something ripped straight out of a Steven King book. At the end of the episode, it was clear that most of the town lacked any sort of tactics. I mean, who charges armed soldiers in a mob formation? When the old man sniper got taken out by the RPG, it was just like the scene in Saving Private Ryan. I reckon' I should compare the release dates to see who got the idea from who, although I'm pretty sure, it was Noir taking it from SPR. Oh, a French based army got owned... big surprise =]

Episode 23: This was a very slow episode, not much to highlight, and unfortunately, more flashbacks.

Episode 24: What the hell, are they assassins or gladiators? Another blade breaking move by Kirika, scary huh?

Episode 25: Felt like I was watching a lesbo moving at this point, and since their age is pretty vague, it just seems so wrong. Kirika saves Mirielle, again, by stopping a blade, again! My question is, despite friendship, why choose Mirielle over Chloe? If I was an assassins, I'd want the strongest partner, not a sexy, high heeled, short skirt wearing, blonde who.... oh nevermind, answered that one myself.

Episode 26: What the hell kind of ending is that. I'm left wanting, again... I was pretty sure it ended in a homocide-suicide of the two maidens, but I was told that was wrong. They say the manga explains it better, so I'm search of that.

Overall, I thought this was an excellent anime, it could have done without so many flashbacks, but since they're meant to be watched one a week or so, I guess I don't have much room to complain. I'd like to watch the English dubbed/subbed version, see how the 'professionals' translated everything and what voices they would've used. Finally, the soundtrack was superb, a must buy for everything (Disc 1 anyways).

Work is still slow, but I've been setting up more and more systems (when I can find them). I really need to clean the entangled messed under my desk, it's a disgrace. Lastly, I must hit the Google to find an easy recipe for trout, since I bought one (Kroger had no salmon and I didn't want herring) and have no idea how to fix it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home