Mastrick

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Weekend Rundown II

Well, what all happened to me last week? Trying pretty much nothing (as usual with my boring 9-5 job) until the weekend.

As I normally do every three to four months, I take the long journey up I-77 to visit my buddy Chris in Parkersburg, WV. What was on the agenda? Anime, pulling ethernet cable, Dungeons and Dragons, and of course, drinking!

I arrived Friday night, about 9, and he showed me what he had purchased. Couple of wall plates, 75' of Cat5, some cat5 plugs, and a Linksys 802.11g router. After a delicious meal of pork-chops, corn, and stuffing, we set out to pull wire. While he was in the basement setting up the router and cable modem close to the outlet, I quickly made a section of 9' patch to test my now rusty skills. Perfect, of course. It took us about an hour to run the first wire to an old phone/cable plate, because we couldn't get through the floorboards and the outside insulation and etc etc etc. Eventually, we just dremeled a larger hole in the wire housing and the cable was ran in about 5 minutes. Ran downstairs and put a jack on the end of the cable and hooked it to the router. I stripped and attached the cat5 to the wall plate and tested out the port (which worked). So, I go to put the port on the plate and... damn it... wrong side. Had to cut off the wire, put the port on the plate, then rewire. Still worked, so I was fine. The second port was done in about 15 minutes, same process, minus the screw up. My powerbook was my best friend, helping test the strength of the wireless network in the house and each hardwired connection. It looked good, his PC was hooked up to one jack and the XBox by his bitching widescreen at the other jack. Watched some anime, went to bed.

Saturday, I woke and he was watching my Kenshin OVAs (which I still haven't seen). I surfed the web for a bit and around four we headed out to the NET (North End Tavern) for some of the best food and beer money can buy. Won two bucks on Keno, spent five to play. One day I'll just give the waitress the five and save some time. Bought a half-gallon growler of Net Lite as well, which I need to drink soon before it goes bad. Then it was off to Mike's for about five hours of quality Dungeons and Dragons, as well as some general UO and computer discussion. Got home about about 2.45am and played Halo with Chris till about 5.30. Levels are Heroic are a bitch, even with two players.

Go up Sunday late, around 1, meant to leave by 2... instead finished watching part of a Kenshin OVA, helped him reconfigure his entertainment system, showed him some router management items, hit the mall for some cheap Chinese food (combo meals without drink included aren't really combo meals, now are they?) then finally hit the road a little before 5. Got home, worked on my sleeving, which is taking forever.

That's roughly my weekend. Still haven't finished Noir yet. *sigh* Life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home